History began with the years 1571 and 1572, when Capitan Juan de Salcedo first explored the province of Tayabas. The
Franciscan priests Juan de Plasencia and Diego de Oropesa between 1580 and 1583 founded its town, also named Tayabas.
Lucena was just one of its barrios.
The Spaniards of the 16th century called the present site "Buenavista" because of its awe inspiring scenic beauty. Several years later, the barrio was renamed "Oroquieta". A century later, Muslim pirates began terrorizing the entire Philippine
coastline, and Oroquieta was not spared from the notorious raids. The barrio folks built forts along the seashores to
defend it against the attacking pirates. Hence, the place became known as "Cotta" which is the Spanish name for "fort". [Read more...]